and is bordered by the West Branch Susquehanna River to the south (with Armstrong Township, South Williamsport, Duboistown and Susquehanna Township south of the river), Loyalsock Township to the east and north, Old Lycoming Township to the north and Woodward Township to the west.
As the crow flies, Lycoming County is about 130 miles (209 km) northwest of Philadelphia and 165 miles (266 km) east-northeast of Pittsburgh.
The Flood of March 17–18, 1936 caused the river to crest at 33.9’. It was known locally as the Hello, Al flood because Al Glaes, operating a short-wave radio station from his home on High Street, kept the city in touch with the rest of the world after the flood disrupted electricity and telephone service.
The first freight carried into town was iron for the foundry of John B. The same year the enactment of the common school law by Pennsylvania Legislature led to public education here.The Peter Herdic House, Hart Building, Millionaire's Row Historic District, City Hall, Williamsport Armory, and Old City Hall are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Williamsport has a humid continental climate (Köppen Dfa), typical of central Pennsylvania, with four distinct seasons, and lies in USDA hardiness zone 6b, with areas away from the West Branch Susquehanna River falling in zone 6a.Marion tended the family homestead, maintained Freedom Road Cemetery (where nine black Civil War vets are buried) and passed Daniel's stories down to her children. The following year the Williamsport Hospital opened its first facility April 1 at Elmira and Edwin Streets.
In 1875, the first tower clock in the United States to sound the Cambridge Quarters (Westminster Chime) was installed at Trinity Episcopal Church, a gift of Peter Herdic with bells given by the Honorable Judge J. For this reason, the area's local high school, the Williamsport Area High School, uses "Millionaires" as its team nickname.
Also in 1941 the Williamsport School Board created the Williamsport Technical Institute for high school and post-high school students.